We’re Almost at the End!!!!

Blog Notes

  • Hi Everyone! First an update on my research proposal.
    • To quote Dr. Zamora “This is where the rubber hits the road”. It is full steam ahead.
    • I have begun to annotate my sources and I have 5 sources annotated so far. I will do 4 more tomorrow which will bring me to 9 annotated sources out of 14. We are getting there!
      • Something that has helped tremendously is that I have found 30 sources that I will narrow down to 14. 
      • I have the 30 sources in my Google Doc so that I don’t have to go back to the database and search.
      • I can just annotate the sources that I choose to use from the list of 30.
    • I have a very nice outline of my research proposal in my Google Doc.
      • I have found that outlines are my go to method.
      • I make sections in the outline and fill them in with bits of information. This way I am already putting some of what will go into my first draft, but it is only a small bit so it doesn’t take up a lot of time while the ideas are not fully fleshed out. It’s kinda like dropping a jellybean to follow on the way back.
    • I have figured out my research question almost! I have 3 questions and I just need to pick one or combine elements from each one to form my question.
    • I know what will be the interesting hook that opens up my introduction.
    • I know what methodology I am going to use, but have not worked too much on that section. I am thinking about it when I go about my day and thinking about it in the background.
    • I will have a nice draft ready on Thursday. I probably won’t have all 14 sources annotated by Thurs, but I will have an intro, a methods section, and an annotated bibliography. It’s so nice to have this project started and coming to life before my eyes. 
    • At the beginning of the semester, this project seemed to big to tackle. But now I know that it’s a lot of work, but it’s doable. It’s like when it’s dark and the clothes on the chair look like a scary monster, but you turn on the light and it’s just a pile of clothes. Remember people, this research proposal is just a pile of clothes on a chair!
  • Mixed Methods Notes
    • This study is interesting because it is studying students who seek uniqueness. I found this interesting because uniqueness seems like something that would be hard to measure, but the authors mention that Lynn and Harris’ came up with a uniqueness-seeking scale in 1997 and they adapted it for their study. This just goes to show that everything can be measured and when we consider our methods section of the research proposal, we can find ways to measure concepts that may seem abstract.
    • The authors note that they are going to analyze data both quantitatively and qualitatively. This seems like a task that could be super hard and overwhelming. I didn’t know that it was an option to analyze data both quantitatively and qualitatively and that could be one of the reasons that the authors are going to use mixed methods.
    • We’re gotten to the methods section! This is where the mixed methods are revealed! Drumroll please!
    • The authors use a discourse analytic approach and constant comparison coding.
      • I assume that one method will measure the data qualitatively while another method will measure the data quantitatively.
    • An interesting thing I found in the discussion at the end was that the need for uniqueness did not effect students participation in online discussions. I thought that students with a higher need to be unique would be more engaged in online discussions in order to showcase their point of view and how it is unique to others.
    • Another interesting finding was that student’s uniqueness levels varied across the semester. This indicates that even though everyone has different needs for uniqueness, they may equal out over time to due to uniqueness needs rising and falling throughout the semester.